A great opportunity to join HP Hotel Management, a growing national hotel development and management company currently ranked in the top 50 hotel management companies in the nation. HP Hotel Management is seeking a Sous Chef to join our team at the DoubleTree Columbia, SC.
This hotel is located at the crossroads of I-20 and I-26 near Lake Murray and minutes from the South Carolina State House capitol building and downtown Columbia. A variety of popular Columbia attractions are near our hotel including the Governor’s Mansion, Congaree Vista, a choice of golf courses, theaters and the famous Riverbank Zoo.
Guests enjoy casual dining at Colombo’s to savor delicious steaks, fresh seafood and tempting desserts. With over 22,700 sq. ft. of meeting space, we are busy with meetings, conventions and elegant weddings.
HP Hotels is offering a great opportunity to join a growing hotel development and management company as a Sous Chef for the DoubleTree by Hilton Columbia, SC.
We are currently seeking highly motivated individuals to join our team as a Sous Chef.
SCOPE OF RESPONSIBILITY:
The Sous Chef is responsible for coordinating, supervising and directing all aspects of the hotel’s food production, while maintaining profitable F&B operations and high quality products and service levels. The Sous Chef is expected to provide training for all staff, meet corporate quality standards, establish and enforce food specifications, portion control, recipes and sanitation. The Sous Chef must control food and labor costs while maximizing guest satisfaction.
• Assists the Executive Chef in meeting and exceeding the company Food GP budget Assists the Execitive Chef in ensuring all kitchen staff are trained on dish specification and how to achieve food margins
• Orders of food stock appropriate to sales levels and not over ordered
• All sub standard food is returned with the appropriate paperwork and the supplier contacted. Supplier issues to be cascaded to senior managers
• All deliveries to be checked and signed for by the Executive Chef / Sous Chef or manager on duty – where this is not possible a record must be placed onto the delivery note
• Prepares food for service appropriate to sales levels
• Controls wastage and records / reports all wastage
• Only nominated suppliers used via PLOFs and petty cash purchases are minimum to zero
• All invoices processed weekly and accounted for
• Staff food policy is followed with no unauthorized food leaving the kitchen
• Dishes are to specification with no over-portioning
• Keeps within budgets set for ordering
• All stock is secure and no loss of stock
• Stock rotation is followed and all store rooms / fridges and freezers are in order
• Assists in monitoring & controlling stock levels – daily, weekly and monthly ensuring there are no shortfalls.
• Queries and issues relating to dishes, menus and suppliers are cascaded to the Executive Chef
• Coordinate, supervise and direct the Stewarding Department.
• Compute daily food costs.
• Develop proper training and direction of departmental assistants in compliance with company standards of quality, specifications, portion control, recipes, employee relations, sanitation, etc.
• Understand daily forecasts and customer counts.
• Coordinate all par stock levels.
• Assess food portion size, visual appeal, taste and temperature of items served.
• Direct and train all cooks to ensure adequate operation in all outlets.
• Create menus for prospective clients.
• Review and approve weekly payroll.
• Check food purchases for proper ordering, quality and price structure.
• Oversee daily activities such as preparation for all food items, receiving daily inventories, log-on report and food cost report.
• Conduct and/or attend all required meetings, including pre-convention and post-convention meetings as needed.
• Attend all meetings as required.
• Communicate to Engineering any physical maintenance problems.
• Assist catering sales on all special menus and price structures.
• Participate in required M.O.D. program as scheduled.
• Perform any other duties as assigned.
REPORTS TO: Executive Chef
As an employee, it is your responsibility to be aware of and report any and all safety hazards or violations you may see or witness in the course of performing your required duties.
Employees must meet these minimum requirements:
Type of Education: High School
Level of Education: Grade 12
Apprenticeship Program: None
Level of Experience: 3 year min
Business Mechanical Skills
EMPLOYEE MUST HAVE COMPLETED APPLICABLE HEALTH DEPARTMENT CERTIFICATION
Physical Activities and Requirements
Normal Work Position
Standing and walking 100% of the time
Minimum Weight Employee must be able to lift: 50 pounds
Hot, dirty at times, hazardous materials may be present, work alone and with others
Care of Equipment: FREQUENT
Safety of Others: FREQUENT
Guest Contact: FREQUENT
Confidential Data: OCCASIONALLY
Decision Making: FREQUENT
Acts in Supervisory Capacity: FREQUENT